BD Introduces Simplified Comprehensive IV Management
National data show that 90 percent of hospital patients receive an IV medication during their stay1. However, a manual IV compounding process is prone to errors, with an average error rate of 9 percent for chemotherapy, injectables and total parenteral nutrition (TPN) infusions2. In addition, 7 percent to 15 percent of oncology budgets are spent on infusions that are prepared, but never get used3, resulting in unnecessary waste.
During the 50th Annual
"Combining BD and CareFusion technologies creates a safer and more simplified way to manage IV medication at hospitals," said
How it works:
- Starting in the IV room of a hospital pharmacy, BD Cato™ Medication Workflow Solutions have been integrated with the CareFusion SmartWorks platform to seamlessly integrate with pharmacy IT systems to receive IV orders. Throughout the medication preparation process, the BD Cato System helps detect potential errors optimize drug utilization, simplify preparation steps and improve documentation compliance.
- If preparing hazardous drugs, clinicians may use a closed system drug transfer device (CSTD), and BD's Hazardous Drug Safety portfolio of solutions can help minimize the risk of hazardous drug exposure for health care workers and patients through products like the BD PhaSeal™ system.
- After the medication has been safely prepared and is ready to deliver to the patient floor, the Track and Deliver module of Pyxis® ES Link enables the pharmacy and nurses to see exactly where the medication is during transport and when and where it is delivered. This helps nurses better manage their time and reduces calls to the hospital pharmacy inquiring about status and whereabouts of medication.
- Once the medication makes it to the patient bedside, the
Alaris® System with bi-directional electronic medical record (EMR) interoperability bridges the gap between an EMR and an infusion pump. With only one additional barcode scan to a nurse's workflow, the pharmacist-verified physician's order can pre-populate the Alaris System, reducing manual keystrokes and infusion programming errors.
- EMR interoperability also enables automated documentation back to the patient's EMR, where the nurse validates the data in the EMR and commits it to the patient record, eliminating the need for manual documentation and ensuring that documentation is complete and accurate. In addition,
Alaris® Viewer Suite for Charge Capture takes all of the data from the Alaris System and displays it in a patient-specific report, making it easier for billers and coders to make an accurate claim for reimbursement.
- Finally, through Pyxis ES Link, a nurse can submit an IV refill request that will be displayed in the Med View Dashboard and enable pharmacists to proactively plan for IV replenishment needs, reducing the risk of interrupted therapy and waste. The refill order is sent to the BD Cato Medication Workflow Solutions and the process begins again.
The unique end-to-end IV management process on display at booth #2339 demonstrates a cohesive approach to reducing the opportunities for human error, protecting health care workers from occupational hazards and increasing efficiency to enable nurses and pharmacists to spend more time with patients. For more information please visit: www.bd.com/ashp.
BD is a leading medical technology company that partners with customers and stakeholders to address many of the world's most pressing and evolving health needs. Our innovative solutions are focused on improving medication management and patient safety; supporting infection prevention practices; equipping surgical and interventional procedures; improving drug delivery; aiding anesthesiology and respiratory care; advancing cellular research and applications; enhancing the diagnosis of infectious diseases and cancers; and supporting the management of diabetes. We are more than 45,000 associates in 50 countries who strive to fulfill our purpose of "Helping all people live healthy lives" by advancing the quality, accessibility, safety and affordability of healthcare around the world. In 2015, BD welcomed CareFusion and its products into the BD family of solutions. For more information on BD, please visit www.bd.com.
1 iData Research, US Market for Vascular Access Devices and Accessories, Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Market, page 23. 2014.
2 Flynn et al. (1997) paper. Flynn EA, Pearson RE, Barker KN. Observational study of accuracy in compounding i.v. admixtures at five hospitals. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 1997;54(8):904-912
3 Vandenbroucke J, Robays H. How to protect environment and employees against cytotoxic agents: The UZ Ghent experience. J Oncol Pharm Practice. 2001; 6: 146-152.
BD Public Relations
BD Investor Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bd-introduces-simplified-comprehensive-iv-management-300188671.html
SOURCE BD (